Thursday, January 17, 2008

Catching Up!

I have been making a few hearts, but hadn't had time to get them online. My intermittent scanner was working last night, so I got them scanned!



I decided to experiment with my Neocolors a little bit. I drew a quick heart and made some designs and blocks of color on watercolor paper. I then misted the entire page and enjoyed watching the colors bleed and run. There were a few dry spots, so I sprayed again. Areas that were already wet blew with the force of the spray and made some interesting designs.



Using my Neocolors on watercolor paper again, I decided to dip the Neocolors into a bit of water before drawing. I love the intense colors! The only drawback is not being able to predict when the intense wet color would dry out and return to the waxy color (which colors only the high points of the texture of the paper). I wonder if this would be as pretty on fabric. I'll have to play more.



After working every spare moment of the weekend, my first day back to work was still focused on completing the basketball tournament program. However, I had a long-standing meeting for 3 hours in the evening, then I went back to school. So, I had to be creative in making a heart! I used the scraps from the name tag sticker and made a heart on my folder.



I was re-inspired this morning by an old Carol Duvall episode where they made polymer clay pendants. This isn't the exact technique, but I conditioned red polymer clay, textured it with a rubber stamp and cut a heart shape. I placed the red heart on a piece of black clay for backing, then cut strips of the black to make an edge. After baking, I used burnt umber acrylic paint to fill in the crevices, then brushed a few colors of mica powder on top. I should have put the mica powder on before baking to make it more permanent. Next time..

2 comments:

morningDove said...

love all the different hearts and techniques. can't wait to hear more detail.

So Much To See said...

Thanks for leaving a comment. The details are now posted.