Thursday, January 10, 2008

Constructed Heart #30


The heart may not be "constructed," but the frame was. I have always enjoyed batik and have wanted to try gutta resist art since I first saw it on an episode of Carol Duvall. I finally bought some for myself and here is my first attempt.

Though I was pretty sure I had no breaks in the gutta, there are many areas of bleeding. Also, as it dried, the lines disappeared making it hard to see where to put the dye. Also, I wished I had a different variety of colors. However, despite its imperfections, I am quite satisfied with my first gutta resist dyed piece. (It is just over 20" square).

2 comments:

morningDove said...

Hi debee: i love this resist'ant heart. I have some resist I had pulled out this morning, bought is at walmart for $2.50. I guess I could try dying something. What is gutta?

So Much To See said...

Gutta is resist. I'm really a newbie with this, but I know there are several kinds, including water soluble. After posting, I reread my label and it just says resist. I'm not sure what a resist has to do to be a "gutta." *grin* I'd love to see what you come up with. This is just some muslin, but I'm going to do a silk scarf for my daughter next.