Saturday, November 22, 2008

Craters?

Friday's experiment was to use something other than the tacky embossing pad or pen to adhere those embossing powder crystals. I grabbed the closest thing, some craft glue intended to secure "jewels" to fabric.

To backtrack a bit, I began with the idea of making a paisley-type design with micro-beads and glitter embedded into the embossing powder. I drew a rough paisley shape with the embossing pen directly onto the chipboard. I was to lazy to prime with gesso and the result was that the pen mostly absorbed into the cardboard, leaving little to grab the powder. I was left with a few clear puddles that also partly absorbed into and discolored the cardboard. A mess.

Figuring it was too late to prime, that's when I grabbed the glue and filled in my rough paisley shape. I sprinkled embossing powder into the glue and decided to see what would happen if I used my heat gun to melt the powder and dry the glue all at the same time. Would it just seal over or would it be like the old candles we made by pouring the wax over bits of ice? (You DO remember doing that, right? If not, just wait and that "retro" craft will make a comeback and you can try it!)

The glue and powder fizzled and bubbled! I loved it! Then, I painted with some russet and gold metallic paints and speed-dried with the heat gun. All the embossing powder under the paint bubbled and blistered. Cool! I played with adding more powder and more paint and more heat. Here is the result. All finished with diamond glaze for that glossy finish I'm going for in this group of work.

PS: Please note that all my circles look way better in person than scanned or photographed. I can't seem to get the right angle to show the colors and gloss without too much reflection.

No comments: