Saturday, November 1, 2008

Not a Heart...

...but made with love!


My older granddaughter, Kady, wanted to be Wall-E for Halloween, but that's obviously not a popular choice this year as costumes are hard to come by. The one I found wasn't very good and cost $50!

Given the time and money, I think I'd have scrounged local thrift shops and created a replica of Wall-E that would even have motorized/light-up parts. As it is, I told Kady I'd spend $10 to make her a costume. We went to PaperZone to find a cube-shaped box that would fit her properly (12 x 12 turned out to be the right size). I mixed up a yellow-gold with some gesso for the base coat and made a darker gold glaze to dry brush over spots.

I cut the wheels/treads from another box and painted shades of gray in roughly the right shapes. I also painted the gray "control" area on the front. Then made a cardboard console and applied a 4x6 mailing label I had printed from my computer (designed in Adobe Illustrator). I covered that with clear mailing tape to look like glass over the "solar" indicator. I also downloaded the correct font (Gunship ) to make the name. My trusty X-acto made the head, arm and leg openings.

A purchased Wall-E mask saved me time and I loaned her my small cooler, not only to be like Wall-E, but to put her Treats in.
The next day I went to a thrift shop and purchased some small, old shoes. I found a bargain plant at Wal-Mart and snipped off a few leaves and voila, I had Wall-E's little plant.

No comments: