Thursday, December 27, 2007

Constructed Heart #23


This isn't really "constructed," but it is the only heart I made Wednesday. My younger daughter gave me a new sketch book and pen for Christmas (my old one was nearly full).

Anyone who can count to 31 has probably noticed that my "daily" hearts haven't been so daily lately. Sure, I have been busy at work and with Christmasy stuff, but I'm normally busy with something or other. After pondering this for a bit, I realized a couple of things.

I had anticipated this thirty days of "constructed" hearts, imagining wonderful 3D creations of clay, polymer clay, knitted wire with beads and even some stuffed hearts. What I found was that most of my ideas for constructed hearts require much more time than I had or than was intended for the "daily" art projects. The point was for a bit of time playing with various materials, experimenting and (hopefully) developing my skills. The constructed hearts have become more frustrating and burdensome because they require more planning and time, though there is still some "play" involved.

I find myself longing for the little 3" felt hearts and the journal pages. These were quick. The felt hearts were portable. I loved dabbling with various paints and mediums on the journal pages (especially recycling old printer cleaning papers). And this is all very good! Since I love so many things, I often felt frustrated by lack of direction in my art. I still love to dabble in it all, but I'm happy to begin to identify some passion areas. As soon as my 30 constructed hearts are done, I'm back to felt for a while!

3 comments:

morningDove said...

Discovering and honing your passion is what it's all about and having fun learning new things. I bought a new sketchbook too. Actually wish I had bought the other one there too, only $3.00. Went back yesterday and it was gone. shucks - maybe I was being stingy

So Much To See said...

Thanks for your encouragement. I'm learning to embrace and pursue my artistic gifts. It has been great lately to be able to share the journey with you, Fannie and others online.
Know you will use your sketchbook well. Have enjoyed seeing your work so far.

Fannie said...

DeBee, I didn't realize that you enjoy using felt. Now I understand your comment to my blog post.

If you hadn't set the 30-day goal, you probably wouldn't have realized what was important to you. I call your realization "Success," and that's something to celebrate. Sometimes our plans don't take us where we wanted to go, but nevertheless, we end up where we should be. I celebrate your success! Complete your daily hearts, then move on to the desires of your heart. Success is not measured by following a perfect plan, but having the wisdom to make alterations when necessary and "complete" your plan. How you finish is not as important as "that" you "finish." Great Job!