Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Constructed Heart #8

This isn't a happy heart, but it has hope. It is dedicated to my neighbor, Haley, as she recovers. Monday she was hit by a vehicle and the officers told me it appears her husband ran her over after a fight. I can only imagine. My heart and prayers are with her.

When I began hunting for inspiration for constructing a heart tonight, this was not my initial choice. I soon realized that my first idea would take hours longer than I had or was willing to invest tonight. I'll save that for the weekend. So, I looked high and low at my treasure trove of "stuff" and settled on this... packing tape (the old fashioned paper kind).

I bent some wire, scrunched paper around it and held it in place temporarily with blue painter's tape. I covered the whole thing paper mache style with strips of tape. (I bought a bunch of it at a rummage sale for a quarter - I read an article on how to make a dress form using this stiff tape and I can't wait to make one!) Some strips were cut in half lengthwise to fit the contours more easily.

A coat of red paint to start, then dry-brushed white in a criss-cross pattern reminiscent of gauze bandages. Highlights of gold speak of hope.

1 comment:

Fannie said...

Clever and unique. I hope Haley recovers quickly.